Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Yes, that's right...I'm currently in Sao Paulo. It's a city filled with great wonders. The people are friendly, the city is huge (16.8 million people, and growing), contains a wonderful mixture of historic beauty and modern wonders. And let's not forget the food...you will never go hungry in Brazil! (I always seem to gain weight...not sure if it's the organic beef or the South American wine). There's a wonderful culture here, filled with family, markets, street traffic (pedestrians beware). I love the fact that last names don't matter here and it's a racial mix of anything and everything.

I'm here for the month of September. Lot's of work to do. Despite the work, I'm surprisingly finding lots to do to occupy the few moments of downtime I have. I've visited Artes de Embu (a quaint town just outside the city), done the typical tourist attractions in the city (I try to stay away from this...but it's difficult when you are somewhere for a month). I'm off to Rio de Janerio this weekend--and really looking forward to it. Sugarloaf, Christ the Redeemer, and the beach...in WINTER.

Being away this long definitely has its draw-backs. I missed a birth in the family...Bronson Thomas. I miss being able to readily dial my friends and family. I missed Hurricane Ike. And news like high gas prices and stock market woes aren't quite the same here in Brazil. Despite the Internet, one simply can't get the same feel for world events when in a country where English is the third language.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey! I love this, I'm so glad you're starting it so we can keep up with you and your travels! :) Miss you being here... Bronson is precious and I know he can't wait for you to hold him! Seriously, he is SO cute and tiny!!! Talk to you soon!