Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rio de Janerio

Well...I've made it. This city is amazing. It's a wonderful mixture of color, architecture, new and old world, music, dancing, and of course--caipirinhas (a wonderful Brazilian cocktail). I have yet to see much of the city, but it's full of Miami color, favelas (slums), Gothic and Renaissance architecture, modern high rises, mountains, and beaches. On my way to the hotel, it was quite evident that football (soccer) is a much larger part of life than in Sao Paulo.

I am struck by the proximity of the mountains to the beach. It gives little room for the city/inhabitants to carry about their lives, however, it seems to work. The roads along the beaches are winding, following the geography of the land.

I am staying on Copacabana beach. It's beautiful. The city meanders its way along the coast line, living symbiotically with the nature that surrounds it. Outdoor sports are prevalent here. Not only is there football, but beach volleyball is ever-present, and something akin to beach football (though I haven't quite figured it out yet).

The rooftop of my hotel has a great (but far-away) view of Corcovado (Christ the Redeemer). I would share my pictures, but frankly they are crap. Clouds descended on the city late in the day, and my photos are no where near share-able.

Tomorrow, I'm off to visit Corcovado, Sugarloaf, downtown, and the Tijuca Forest (think largest natural forest in a metropolis AND ferrel monkeys). I'm looking forward to a couple of days of being a tourist.

No comments: